The Oracle of Delphi
Designers: Stefan Feld
Artwork: Dennis Lohausen
- Theme: Zeus, Greek god of thunder and sky, hosts a competition for the most valorous mortal captains. So you ready your ships and sail the Aegean to be the first to complete his twelve tasks: erect graceful statues, raise awe-inspiring shrines, make generous offerings, and slay the most fearsome monsters. In order to find the rightous path onward, you question Pythia, the mysterious oracle of Delphi and let her divinations guide your ways.
- Play Time: 60-100 Minutes
- Player Count: 2-4 player
- Ages: 12+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium
- Setup Time: Medium
- Replay Value: High - The game has a lot of variability in game setup.
- Direct Conflict: None
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a dice rolling, action selection, pick up and deliver, race game. Players roll 3 dice and use the results to select various actions in a race to be the first to accomplish 12 different Zeus Tile goals.
- Turn Summary: Players take turns doing the following:
- Check Injury Cards - If player has 3 or more of the same color or 6 or more total injury cards they must discard 3 cards and rest this turn without doing any actions.
- Perform 3 Oracle Dice actions and optionally 1 Oracle Card action. Actions include:
- Draw 1 Oracle Card
- Take 2 Favor Tokens
- Look at 2 Island Tiles
- Move - Move up to 3 spaces to a space with the matching die color.
- Fight Monster - Fight an adjacent monster of the matching die color to complete a remaining Zeus goal.
- Explore an Island - Uncover an adjacent island tile of the matching die color. If the Greek letter matches an uncompleted Zeus tile, build a Shrine on the island to complete the Zeus goal. If the letter does not match an uncompleted Zeus tile, take a reward based on the Greek letter.
- Build a Shrine - Build a shrine on an uncovered unoccupied Island tile to complete a remaining Zeus goal.
- Load an Offering - Load an adjacent offering cube of the matching die color onto on empty ship cargo space.
- Make an Offering - Unload a cube of the matching die color onto an adjacent matching Temple Island to complete a remaining Zeus goal.
- Load a Statue - Load an adjacent statue of the matching die color onto an empty ship cargo space.
- Raise a Statue - Unload a statue onto an adjacent statue site matching the die color to complete a remaining Zeus goal.
- Discard Injury Cards - Discard all Injury cards of the matching die color.
- Advance a God - Advance the God of the matching die color 1 step.
- Consult the Oracle - Roll Oracle dice for next turn. If any of the other players have at least 1 God not on the lowest space of the God track they may advance 1 of these Gods up 1 space.
- End Game: When 1 player completes all 12 Zeus tile goals and moves his ship back to the Zeus statue the game ends after that round is completed.
- Victory: The player who completes all 12 Zeus Tile goals and returns to Zeus wins. If more than 1 player completes this task, the player with the most Oracle cards wins. If still tied the player with the most Favor tokens wins.