Rails to Riches
Designer: Martin Wallace
Artwork: John Austin, Jarad Blando, Craig Hamilton, Chris Moeller
Theme: Join the select ranks of industrial adventurers who call themselves rail barons. Challenge your rivals as you civilize the wilds in a quest to connect people and spur the growth of cities. Using clever investment - and plenty of steel and steam - you can bring goods to far away markets and track the winning way to wealth.
- Player Count: 3-5 players - Includes components for 6 players for use with certain expansion maps.
- Play Time: 90 Minutes
- Ages 10+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium
- Setup Time: Medium
- Replay Value: High - There are many paths to victory as well as several expansion maps available.
- Direct Conflict: Low
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is an economic, tile placement, network building, pick up and deliver game. Players pay to lay track tiles to connect cites across the map. Points and income are earned by delivering goods to cities where there is demand for those goods.
- Round Summary:
- Select Action Tile - In turn order players select one of the special action tiles.
- Build Track - Build up to 3 tiles of track and pay cost.
- Move Goods - Take turns moving 1 goods cube along a route equal to or less in length to the player's locomotive level. Players then chose to score victory points or raise income level +1 for each owned track used during the delivery. Alternatively a player may improve their locomotive level once per round as an action during this phase. Repeat this phase one more time.
- Collect income and Pay Expenses - Collect or pay money based on position on the income track.
- Adjust Turn Order - Turn order for the next round is determined by the action tiles selected at the start of the current round.
- End Game: Game ends after 10 rounds in a 3 player game, 9 rounds in a 4 player game, and 7 rounds in a 5 player game.
- Victory: Players add or deduct points based on final income then add 1 victory point for each completed link segment. The player with the most victory points wins.
Steam Map Expansion #1
Steam Map Expansion #2
Steam Map Expansion #3
Steam Barons - Martin Wallace's Expansion