Designers: Reiner Stockhausen
Artwork: Klemens Franz
Theme: During the medieval going´s on around the French city of Orléans, you must assemble a following of farmers, merchants, craftsmen, boatmen, knights, monks and scholars to expand your dominance in the region.
- Player Count: 2-4 players
- Play Time: 90 Minutes
- Ages 12+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium
- Setup Time: Medium/High
- Replay Value: High - There are many strategies to pursue.
- Direct Conflict: None
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a bag building, worker placement game. Players begin with 4 disc shaped worker tiles of different types. Each turn, workers are drawn from a bag and then assigned tasks on individual player boards. Most actions give players another worker for their bags as well as a special action.
- Round Summary:
- Turn over the next hour glass tile to track the progress of the 18 rounds and display the end of round event.
- Census - The player with the most Farmers gets 1 coin and the player with the least pays 1 coin (2 player games the player with the least doesn't pay)
- Draw Character Tiles - All players simultaneously draw the number of tiles as determined by their position on the Knight track.
- Assign workers - All players simultaneously assign workers to the actions on their players boards.
- Take actions - Beginning with the start player, players take turns carrying out one of their actions. Actions include:
- Farm house - Take a farmer tile and up the farmer track, taking the good displayed.
- Village - Take a Boatman, Craftsman, or Merchant and move up on the respective track. A Boatman gives money, the craftsman gives a Technology tile that can be placed on on worker space to automate it. A Merchant allows the player to select one of the Trader tiles to add to their player board.
- University - Take a Scholar tile and move up the track, taking the displayed development points.
- Castle - Take a Knight tile and move up the track which adds to the number of tiles the player will draw each round.
- Monastery - Take a Monk tile. Monk tiles are wilds and can be used in place of any other required Character tile.
- Ship and Wagon actions - Move Merchant token over water or roads and take one of the available goods along the path.
- Guildhall - Add a Trading Station to the city the merchant is in if no other player's Trading Station is there.
- Scriptorium - Receive 1 development point.
- Town Hall - Move the Character tiles placed here to the Beneficial Deeds board and take the depicted reward.
- Event - Resolve the event shown on the hour glass tile and pass the start player token left.
- End Game: Game ends after 18 rounds.
- Victory: The player with the most points acquired from goods, trading stations, citizens and coins wins.