Designer: Stefan Feld
Artwork: Alexander Jung
Theme: Explore the mysterious island of La Isla, and hunt for long thought extinct animals: the gentle Dodo, the vigilant Giant Fossa, the elusive Golden Toad, the dexterous Sardinian Pika, and the graceful Owlet Moth.
Place your explorers onto various island spaces, encircling as many of the valuable animals as possible. Play your cards to perform special functions, receive key resources, and score victory points for animals you've collected. If you play your cards right you can get the upper hand!
- Player Count: 2-4
- Play Time: 45-60 Minutes
- Ages 10+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium
- Setup Time: Medium
- Replay Value: Medium/High - The variable setup game board and large selection of cards makes the game very re-playable.
- Direct Conflict: Low
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a hand management, set collection, area control game. Players start with a hand of three cards that each have three different sections. Players simultaneously select their actions and then take turns using the actions to place and move explorers around the game board trying to surround and capture animals.
- Round Summary:
- Players simultaneously draw a hand of 3 cards and play them to the three action selection spots on their player boards.
- Take turns going through the following action phases:
- Add the A card to a slot at the top of the player board so the card can be used for its special function.
- Discard the B card and take the resource shown from supply.
- Place or move an explorer:
- Pay 2 matching resources to place or move an explorer to a spot on the board.
- If an animal is surrounded by the player's explorers, take the animal token and score the victory points shown.
- If the player can't or doesn't want to pay to place an explorer they may take 1 resource from supply instead.
- Take an Action: Build the structure on the card, add a stage to your wonder, or discard card for 3 money.
- Discard the D card and move the purple marker that corresponds to the animal on the card one space higher. The player then scores 1 point for each animal of that type they own.
- End Game: At the end of a round if the value of all animals on the animal track is at least 7 (2 player game), 9 (3 player game), or 11 (4 player game) the game ends.
- Victory: Final scoring awards 10 points for each complete set of animals, each animal token multiplied by the animal track position, and 1 point for every 2 remaining resources. The player with the most victory points wins.