Quest for Riches in the Ruins
Designers: Alan R Moon and Bruno Faidutti
Artwork: Matthias Catrein
Theme: You and your fellow adventurers explore the ruins of an ancient Incan temple, looking for turquoise, obsidian and gold. At every turn, you must decide whether to play it safe by returning to camp with the treasure you've gathered so far; or to be a truly intrepid adventurer and keep on exploring. going farther into the ruins means risking your treasure by falling victim to giant spiders, wandering mummies, fire spouts and venomous snakes! But priceless Incan artifacts are rumored to exist here... and you can be the one to discover them if you conquer your fears and forge ahead!
- Play Time: 20-40 Minutes
- Player Count: 3-8 Players
- Ages: 8+
- Complexity of Rules: Low
- Setup Time: Low
- Replay Value: Medium
- Direct Conflict: None
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a press your luck, bluffing game. Players simultaneously choose whether to keep exploring the temple or leave with whatever treasure they have found so far. The temple is explored by turning over the next temple card which may show either treasures or hazards. If two of the same hazards are drawn, any players left in the temple receive no treasure that round.
- Round Summary:
- Players secretly select a card showing either exploring or leaving the temple.
- Turn over all selection cards simultaneously to reveal who is exploring and who is leaving.
- If only one player leaves, they take any treasure on the current quest card as well as any artifact cards that have been revealed. Artifacts are worth 5 points each.
- If more than one player leaves, they divide any treasure on the current quest card and leave behind any artifact cards.
- If one or more players choose to continue to explore. divide any treasure shown on the card with the exploring players.
- If a hazard card is drawn and there is another of the same hazard already in play, any exploring players loose any treasure they acquired that round.
- If all players have left the temple, or 2 of the same hazards have been drawn, the next quest card is turned over and a new round begins.
- End Game: The Game ends after 5 rounds.
- Victory: The player with the most points acquired from treasure and artifacts wins.