Designer: Bruno Cathala
Artwork: Clément Masson
Theme: Crossing into the land of 1001 nights, your caravan arrives at the fabled Sultanate of Nagala. The old sultan just died and control of Nagala is up for grabs! The oracles foretold of strangers who would maneuver the Five Tribes to gain influence over the legendary city-state. Will you fulfill the prophecy? Invoke the old Djinns, move the Tribes into position at the right time and the Sultanate may become yours!
- Play Time: 60 minutes
- Player Count: 2-4
- Ages: 13+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium
- Setup Time: Medium
- Replay Value: High - The modular tile board allows various setups. An expansion is available that adds complexity and variability.
- Direct Conflict: Medium/Low.
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a set collection game with a mancala style mechanic. Each turn, a player picks up a group of meeples from a tile and moves them from one adjacent tile to another, dropping off one meeple on each tile. Actions are taken based on color of the last tile landed on and the color of the meeple dropped there.
- Turn Summary:
- Move Meeples - Pick up all the meeples on a tile and move them from one adjacent tile to another (not diagonal and no backtracking.) One meeple is dropped off on each tile crossed. The last meeple must be dropped on a tile that has at least one of the same color meeple on it.
- Take all the meeples from the last tile that match the color of the last meeple dropped. If the tile is now empty of meeples, place a camel on it to show ownership.
- Take the tribe action for the color of meeples taken.
- Yellow Viziers Tribe - Placed in front of player for end game victory points.
- White Elders Tribe - Can be saved in front of player for end game victory points or spent to gain Djinns or invoke powers.
- Green Merchants Tribe - Put back into the bag and take a matching number of resource cards from the market.
- Blue Builders Tribe- Put back into the bag and gain gold coins based on blue tiles surrounding the last tile.
- Red Assassins Tribe - Put back into the bag and kill one yellow or white meeple in front of another player or a meeple on a tile no farther away from the final tile than 1 tile per assassin taken. If a tile is now empty, claim ownership with a camel.
- Take the tile action of the last tile landed on.
- Optionally sell one or more suits of merchandise cards.
- Game End: When a player drops their last camel on a tile, the round is finished and the game ends or if no more legal meeple movement is possible by any player, the game ends.
- Victory: The player with the most victory points aquired from gold, yellow Viziers, white Elders, Djinns, palm trees, palaces, owned tiles, and merchandise sets wins the game.
The Artisans of Naqala
Thieves of Naqala