Designer: Vlaada Chvátil
Artwork: Filip Murmak
Theme: “What this town needs is a pet store.” No one knows which imp said it, but every imp recognized the idea was pure genius: “A pet shop for dungeon lords? What a great idea! Yeah, and no one else is doing it! No competition! We’ll be rich!” And now you have just opened the first pet shop in town. Right next door to the other first pet shop in town. Across the street from two more. Buy baby monsters! Feed them and watch them grow! Clean their cages! Yes, running a pet store is exciting for an imp. But it can also be mentally challenging: What is the smartest way to win the upcoming exhibition? Which pet is best suited for your dungeon lord customer? How strong a cage do you need, and if you guess wrong, how many family members will be maimed? Win or lose, you are sure to enjoy the grand opening of Dungeon Petz.
- Player Count: 2-4
- Play Time: 90 Minutes
- Ages: 13+
- Complexity of Rules: High
- Setup Time: Medium/High
- Replay Value: Medium/High
- Direct Conflict: None
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a worker placement, hand management game with a bidding mechanic for player order. Players use worker actions to acquire monster pets and the proper food and cages to keep them in. Cards are played to fulfill the needs pets have to keep them happy and healthy. Points are awarded for exhibiting pets.
- Round Summary:
- Setup the board with new pets, cages, add-ons, artifacts, food. Reveal next exhibition and customer.
- Players secretly commit imps and gold to determine player order for the worker placement actions.
- Place Imp workers on the action spaces. Actions include:
- Acquire food from market.
- Acquire cage or cage add-on.
- Buy a pet.
- Invite new Imp workers.
- Acquire an artifact - Special action items.
- Visit the Hospital - Take a potion card (wild card) and bring any injured imps back from the hospital.
- Volunteering for Judging - Gives an advantage when scoring an exhibition.
- Booking the Platform - Gives a higher price when selling a pet.
- Draw Need Cards and Assign them to pets.
- Show Pets by comparing played cards with current exhibition tile.
- Sell pets - Optionally sell 1 pet that is size 4 or larger to an available customer.
- Cleanup - Age pets and food then return worker imps back to players.
- End Game: Game ends after 6 rounds in a 2-3 player game or 5 rounds in a 4 player game.
- Victory: Victory points are acquired from exhibiting the pets as well as end game scoring of gold, food, potions, pets and cages. The player with the most points wins.
Dungeon Petz: Dark Alleys