Dead of Winter
A Crossroads Game
Designers: Johnathan Gilmour and Isaac Vega
Artwork: Fernanda Suarez
Theme: In Dead of Winter, players are a colony of survivors trying to survive a hazardous winter in the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse. The colony has an objective they are trying to complete, but each player also controls a group of survivors that has a secret objective. Often this secret objective requires that a player help complete the colony objective. Only players who have completed their secret objective when the game ends will win.
- Play Time: 60-120 minutes
- Player Count: 2-5 PlayersBest with 3 or more players.
- Ages: 13+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium/high
- Setup Time: Medium/high
- Replay Value: High - Large variety of objectives and survivors.
- Direct Conflict: Low
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a hidden traitor, survival , action allocation, dice rolling game. The game begins with a group objective and each player has their own hidden objective which may be to work against the group. Players roll dice equal to 1 + the number of survivors they control. Each die can then be spent as an action.
- Turn Summery:
- Player to the right draws a crossroads card applying its effects to the player taking the turn if, at anytime during that turn, they meet the trigger requirement.
- Perform one of the following actions with each die.
- Attack - Attack a zombie or survivor in the players location. Roll exposure die to see if survivor is injured or killed.
- Search - Draw one card from the item deck of that location.
- Barricade - Place a barricade over one of the zombie spawn points at that location's entrance.
- Clean Waste - Remove 3 cards from the waste card pile of the colony.
- Attract - Move 2 zombies from one location to the player's location.
- Survivors Ability - Some survivors have special abilities that require an action die to be spent to use.
- Take free actions that do not require die.
- Play an item card from their hand.
- Move a survivor to a new location. Roll exposure die to see if survivor is injured or killed.
- Trade equipped items with another survivor in the same location.
- Spend a food token to raise a die value by one.
- Call for a vote to exile another player
- End Game: Game ends if the morale track reaches zero, the round track reaches zero or the main objective is completed.
- Victory: If at game end the player has completed their personal hidden objective then they win. The group wins if the main objective is completed and the traitor wins if the main objective fails.
Dead of Winter: The Long Night - Stand Alone Game/Expansion