Designers: Wolfgang Kramer and Michael Kiesling
Artwork: Dennis Lohausen
Theme: Essen, on the verge of the 20th century: a time when endless supplies of coal are abundant in the earth and ripe for the taking!
You are the owner of a coal mine fulfilling contracts for various types of coal. Spend capital to buy coal carts and expand tunnels as you dig a variety of coal.
Complete orders to gain victory points. However, the orders are very specific about the type of coal they demand. Since each kind is in a different mine level, you must expand your tunnels, costing even more money. Finances are tight and each company has a limited number of workers. Be careful, the later you assign a job, the more workers are needed to get that job done. Once everyone runs out of workers, the shift is over. After three shifts whoever has the most victory points wins.
Now, get your hands dirty! As they say in Essen, Gluck auf!
- Play Time: 45-60 Minutes
- Player Count: 2-4 players
- Ages: 10+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium low
- Setup Time: Medium low
- Replay Value: Medium High
- Direct Conflict: None
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a worker placement, economic game. Players take turns placing workers on various action spaces on the board. When all workers have been placed or all players have passed, the shift ends. Completed orders are scored using the shift clock in the center of the board. Play continues for 2 more shifts.
- Turn: Place workers on one action space. To use an action space that already has workers on it, players first remove the current workers then use that number of workers plus one. Actions include:
- Minecarts Factory: Take the minecart from the space and place it in your mine. Place coal cubes from supply in the coal car matching its color. Pay the bank the amount shown on each car.
- Mining: Use the action points to move the pit cage between levels in the mine shaft, move coal in and out of the pit cage to order cards or the storage shed, or move coal from the storage shed to an order card.
- Delivery: Deliver all filled orders that use the transport vehicle shown. Score victory points as shown on the order.
- Money: Take the amount shown from the bank.
- New Order: Take the order card.
- End Game: Game ends after the third shift scoring is completed.
- Victory: Players earn victory points from completed orders, shift scoring, and leftover coal and money. Players lose points for uncompleted orders and having an unbalanced mine. The player with the most victory points wins.