The cave farmers
Designer: Uwe Rosenberg
Artwork: Klemens Franz
Theme: In Caverna: The Cave Farmers, each player is the head of a dwarf family who has found a home behind a small cave entrance. Players race to develop the cave and the surrounding farmland. There are many directions to take including raising an assortment of animals and crops, focusing on building workshops and other room additions to the cave, mining for rubies, or even taking up arms and going on raiding parties to bring loot back to the farm. Caverna can even be played solo to beat scoring targets as well as help refine future cave farming strategies.
- Play Time: 30-210 minutes depending on player count.
- Player Count: 1-7 players - special solo player variant.
- Ages: 12+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium
- Setup Time: High
- Replay Value: High - There are many strategic paths to victory.
- Direct Conflict: None
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a worker placement, farm building game. Players take turns placing their dwarven workers on various action spaces to gather resources and upgrades for their cave and farm. More available actions are revealed in further rounds.
- Round Summary:
- Add a new Action space to the board.
- Replenish the Action spaces with resources from the supply.
- Place Workers - Players take turns placing their available dwarfs on the action spaces and taking the action. Many of the spaces allow players to do 2 separate actions.
- Actions include:
- Acquiring wood, stone, ore, food, or ruby resources.
- Adding tunnels or mines to the players Cave
- Adding pastures or plowed fields to the players land.
- Building fences on pastures.
- Planting crops or adding animals.
- Blacksmithing to add weapon strength to a dwarf.
- Expeditions to bring back resources or other items based on the weapon strength of the dwarf.
- Adding a family member to be an additional worker for future rounds.
- Return all dwarfs to their cave dwellings.
- Harvest crops, bread animals and feed family members. (depending on the round)
- End Game: Game ends after 12 rounds.
- Victory: Points are awarded for pastures, mines, furnished cave rooms, gold, grain, vegetables, rubies, animals, and dwarvesThe player with the most victory points wins.