Designer: Klaus Teuber
Artwork: Michael Menzel
Theme: Embark on a quest to settle the isle of Catan! Guide your settlers to victory through clever trading and cunning development. Use resource combinations - grain, wool, ore, brick, and lumber to buy handy development cards and build roads, settlements, and cities. Acquire your resources through trades, cards or lucky dice. But beware! Someone might cut off your road or buy a monopoly. And you never know when the wily robber might steal some of your precious gains!
- Play Time: 90 minutes
- Player Count: 3-4 players
- Ages: 10+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium/Low
- Setup Time: Medium
- Replay Value: High - The randomly created tile game board and many expansions make this game highly re-playable.
- Direct Conflict: Medium/Low
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a hand management, dice rolling, network building, trading game. Resource cards are acquired by having settlements next to a tile that has its number rolled. The resource cards can be traded between players or the supply. Resources are used to build and connect more settlements.
- Turn Summary:
- Roll for resource production - Roll two dice and match the total to any game board tile with that number. One resource of that tile type is given to any player with a settlement (two if player has a city) adjacent to that tile. If a 7 is rolled, players must discard down to 7 resource cards and the Thief marker is moved to another tile. the Thief blocks resource production on that tile.
- Optionally trade resource cards - Trade resource cards with other players or supply. Trade with supply at a 4:1 ratio or through harbors as shown on the harbor (3:1 or 2:1.)
- Use resources to build the following:
- Build roads
- Build settlements - Settlements must be connected by a player's road.
- Build Cities - A settlement is removed and replaced by the city.
- Buy development cards - These cards are used to give special actions, give victory points, or military power to take resources from other players.
- End Game: The game ends when any player has 10 victory points on their turn.
- Victory: The first player to 10 victory points on their turn acquired from settlements, cities, largest army bonus, longest road bonus, and development victory point cards wins.