Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Designer: Ted Alspach
Artwork: Keith Curtis, Ollin Timm
Theme: Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a tile laying game where each player is trying to build the perfect castle, subject to the whims of the King. Each player acts as a building contractor, adding rooms to thecastle they are building while selling their services to other players. Points are awarded based on how well the castle adheres to the ever-changing demands of the King.
- Player Count: 1-4 players
- Play Time: 90 Minutes
- Ages 13+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium/Low
- Setup Time: Medium
- Replay Value: High - There are many scoring paths as well as random end game scoring goals that add to replayability. An expansion is also available.
- Direct Conflict: Low
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a tile placement castle building game. Each turn one of the players is the Master Builder and gets to set the prices of the available tiles. Players then take turns purchasing rooms and placing them into their castle to score points. Completion bonuses are given for connecting all entrances of a room to other rooms.
- Round Summary:
- Add 1000 to any room tiles remaining from the last round. The Master Builder then draws room cards to determine which room tiles are added to market then sets prices for the rooms.
- Take turns Buying a room tile or passing
- If buying a room, the money goes to the Master Builder. The Master Builder pays the supply when purchasing a room
- If passing, take 5000 from supply.
- Place and score room:
- Score points from upper left corner of the room.
- Score the room's center icons.
- Score connected room's center icons.
- Score adjacent room's center icons.
- Score Downstairs room's center icons.
- Take completion reward for any room with all entrances connected.
- Pass Master Builder token to the left
- End Game: Game ends when the room card draw deck is empty. Use shuffled discarded cards to finish the round if needed.
- Victory: Score end-game Favor tiles, player Bonus cards and 2 points for every room in a castle from a depleted room stack. Any money is worth 1 point/1000. The player with the most points wins.
Castles of Mad King Ludwig: Secrets