Designer: Klaus-Jurgen Wrede
Artwork: Anne Patzke, Chris Quillams
- Theme: Carcassonne, the world-famous French city, known for its imposing fortifications erected during the Antiquity and the Middle Ages. In this game, players must develop the area around Carcassonne by placing their followers onto roads and into cities, monasteries, and fields.
- Play Time: 2-5 players
- Player Count: 35 minutes
- Ages: 7+
- Complexity of Rules: Low
- Setup Time: Low
- Replay Value: Medium/High - Quick to learn and play, this game has plenty of decisions to keep it coming back to the table.
- Direct Conflict: Medium/Low
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a tile placement, area control game. Players take turns drawing and placing tiles with the option of placing a meeple on the tile to vie for control of areas.
- Turn Summary:
- Draw and place a tile - tile must be placed in a way that it continues the landscape of the surrounding tiles already in play.
- Optionally place a meeple on a portion of that tile in one of the following ways:
- Place on a road as a Highwayman - No other meeples may be on the road. Any time a road is completed with two closed ends then the road is scored and any Highwaymen on the road are returned to the players.
- Place on a city as a Knight - No other knights may be in the city. Any time the city is completely enclosed by walls then the city is scored and the Knights in the city are returned to the players.
- Place in a monastery as a Monk - If the monastery ever becomes completely surrounded by tiles then score the monastery and return the Monk to the player.
- Place on a field as a Farmer - No other farmers may be in the same field. Fields are scored at the end of the game with points going to the player who has the most Farmers in the field.
- End Game: After all the tiles have been placed, any meeples left on the board are scored and game ends.
- Victory: The player with the most points awarded from scoring cities, roads, monasteries and fields wins.
Carcassonne Expansion 1: Inns & Cathedrals
Carcassonne Expansion 2: Traders & Builders