Designer: Stefan Feld
Artwork: Michael Menzel
Theme: Belgium, 15th Century. The first stock market opens its doors. All of Europe has set its eyes on the wealthy and influential city of Bruges. In this game, players compete to gather influence with the local merchants, bureaucrats, nobles, and the many others that rule this beautiful city. With their help, players will gain prestige, reputation, and power.
- Play Time: 60 minutes
- Player Count: 2-4 players, 2-5 with expansion.
- Ages: 10+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium
- Setup Time: Medium
- Replay Value: High - The large deck of multiple use cards add to the replay value giving players many paths to victory.
- Direct Conflict: Medium/Low
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a hand management, card game with some building mechanics. Dice are rolled each round to set the money value of the cards as well as trigger threats to the city.
- Round Summary:
- Roll Dice - If a die is 5 or 6 then pass out the matching color threat markers. If a player has 3 of any type of threat marker then they suffer the corresponding penalty.
- Advance on the reputation track - Players have the option to pay the sum of any 1 and 2 die results in money to advance one space on the reputation track.
- Take turns drawing up to a 5 card hand from the two stacks of cards.
- Take turns playing one card from hand for one of the following actions:
- Take 2 workers of the matching card's color.
- Take money equal to the die result of the card's color.
- Discard 1 threat marker of the card's color.
- Build 1 canal token on a space of the card's color, paying its money cost.
- Build 1 house by paying a worker of that card's color.
- Recruit 1 person for their special ability by paying the money cost of that person and playing it to an available open building.
- After 4 cards are played by each person, check majorities on canals, buildings and reputation track and award any majority bonuses. Begin a new round.
- End Game: Game ends at the end of the round in which one of the card draw stacks is emptied.
- Victory: The player with the most victory points acquired from recruited people, buildings, canals, majority bonuses and reputation track wins.
Bruges City on the Zwen