Designers: Eric M. Lang
Artwork: Adrian Smith
Theme: In Blood Rage, players control powerful Viking clans in a quest for glory before the world comes to its apocalyptic demise. As Ragnarok consumes the land, Vikings will do what they do best: invade and pillage; kill and die in epic battles. Life is fleeting but glory is eternal!
For a Viking there are many pathways to glory. You can invade and pillage the land for its rewards, crush your opponents in battle, fulfill quests, or even die gloriously. Players draft cards representing gifts from the gods that will help them in their quest. These gifts offer many strategies, aiding you in battle, providing cunning tactics, or punishing those who defeat you. Upgrade your clan with mighty Vikings, unique abilities, or even recruit legendary creatures from Norse mythology to fight at your side! When the world ends, only you will be remembered!
- Player Count: 2-4 players
- Play Time: 60-90 Minutes
- Ages 14+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium
- Setup Time: Medium
- Replay Value: High
- Direct Conflict: High
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is area control, card drafting, action point game. Players begin with a hand of 8 cards and select 1 to keep while passing the remaining cards. They continue to do this until each player has drafted 6 cards. Rage action points are then spent to play cards and place or move fighters on the board. Players can also pillage an area which triggers a battle.
- Round Summary:
- Draft Cards: Deal 8 cards to each player. Players draft 1 card to keep passing the rest. Continue until each player has a 6 card hand and discard the remaining cards.
- Action - Players take turns doing one of the following actions until all Rage points are used: (Actions that use 0 Rage still require a player to have at least 1 rage point remaining)
- Invade - Place a figure onto an empty village on the map spending Rage points equal to the figures strength.
- March - Spend 1 Rage point to move 1 or more figures from one province to another single province.
- Upgrade - Play a card to the clan sheet to improve abilities, spending the Rage cost as shown on the card.
- Quest - Commit to a quest by placing a quest card face down onto the clan sheet.
- Pillage - Attack a province and resolve battle.
- Players take turns optionally moving one figure from an adjacent province into the pillaged province.
- If no other player's figures are in the province or supporting fjords, the pillaging player wins and takes the pillage token reward. No glory points are earned.
- If other player's figures are in the province or supporting fjords, they play one card face down. Cards are revealed simultaneously and strength is totaled from figures and cards to see who has won. If the pillaging player wins they discard their card and receive the pillage token reward and glory points for the victory. If another player wins, they discard their card and receive glory points but not the pillage reward. All losing players take their card back into their hand and place all destroyed figures on the Valhalla board. In ties all players lose.
- Pass - This reduces any remaining Rage to zero.
- Discard - All players discard down to 1 card.
- Quest - Players reveal any played quest cards and score glory points for each completed quest.
- Ragnaruk - Take the token from the Ragnarok slot and place it on the corresponding province. All figures in this province are destroyed and awarded glory based on the current round.
- Release Valhalla - Return all figures from the Valhalla board to each player's supply.
- End Game: Game ends after 3 rounds and glory points are awarded for clan stat bonuses.
- Victory: The player with the most victory points acquired from quests, battles, Ragnaruk, upgrade card bonuses and clan stat bonuses wins the game.