Betrayal at House on the Hill
Designer: Bruce Glassco
Theme: Your fear with grow with each tile you place as you investigate a house filled with dreadful monsters and deadly secrets. As you brave your way through each unique room you and the other explorers must rely on each other to survive the horrors that await. But beware: The house will turn one of you against the rest. It will take all of your strengths and skills to defeat the traitor and escape!
- Play Time: 60 minutes
- Player Count: 3-6 players
- Ages: 12+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium
- Setup Time: Medium
- Replay Value: Medium/High - The house is made of tiles which play out differently each game and there are 50 different haunting scenarios that may be triggered.
- Direct Conflict: Medium
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a thematic, dice rolling, exploration game with combat survival. The game board house is played out one tile at a time as it is explored by the players. Rooms can have items to find or horror themed mental and physical challenges in which dice are rolled to defeat. At some point in the game a "Haunt" is triggered which turns a player against the rest.
- Round Summary:
- Move - Move as many spaces up to the characters speed skill.
- Discover a new room - draw a room tile and place it at the doorway.
- Draw Event, Item or Omen card as shown on the room tile. Use any Item or Omen cards and make any required die rolls required by the cards.
- If an Oman card was drawn this turn then make a haunt roll - Roll 6 dice and if the result is less than the total number of Oman cards drawn so far then the haunt begins and the scenario is read.
- Make an Attack once per turn if Haunt has begun. Attacker and defender roll dice - the difference in the results is the damage.
- End Game: Game ends after the traitor or players achieve their scenario goal.
- Victory: Each scenario has unique victory conditions but usually the players win by surviving.
Betrayal at House on the Hill - Widows Walk expansion