Designer Dirk Henn
Artwork: Iorg Asselborn, Christof Tisch, die Bases
Theme: Master builders from Europe and Arabia have come to Granada in the year 1278 for one of the most exciting and interesting projects of the Spanish Middle Ages. Here is where they will get a chance to demonstrate their architectural skills in building The Alhambra.
- Play Time: 60 Minutes
- Player Count: 2-6 Players
- Ages: 8+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium/Low
- Setup Time: Medium/Low
- Replay Value: Medium - Play is mostly driven by available buildings and money cards but there are various scoring strategies players can take. Multiple expansions are available to add variety and complexity.
- Direct Conflict: Low
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a tile placement, set collection game. Different colored money cards are used to buy building tiles of the same color. The tiles are added to the player's Alhambra using special tile placement rules.
- Turn Summary: Take 1 of the following 3 actions:
- Take some money - Take 1 of the 4 face up money cards or take several money cards that don't add up to more than $5.
- Buy and position a building tile - Buy a building tile from the market board using money of the same color as that tile. Change is not given. Add the tile to player's Alhambra using building rules or place it on the reserve board for later use.
- Redesign Alhambra - Do one of these 3 things:
- Add a tile from the reserve board to the Alhambra.
- Remove a tile from the Alhambra and put it on the reserve board.
- Exchange a tile from the Alhambra with a reserved tile, placing it in the exact spot in the Alhambra.
- End Game: Game ends when there are not enough building tiles to refill the market to 4 tiles.
- Victory: Points are awarded in three scoring rounds for having the most buildings in each color and the longest continuous wall. The player with the most points wins.
Expansion 1 - The Vizor's Favor
Expansion 2 - The City Gates
Expansion 3 - The Thief's Turn
Expansion 4 - The Caliph's Treasure Chamber
Expansion 5 - The Power of Sultan
Expansion 6 - The Falconers