Designers: Matus Kotry
Artwork: David Cochard, Jakub Politzer, Filip Murmak
Theme: A little Mandrake root, a little raven's feather. Toss them in the cauldron and see what they make. Should you drink it? Maybe not. After all, that's what students are for. Welcome to the world of Alchemists! Perform experiments to discover the magical properties of your ingredients. Demonstrate your knowledge by selling potions. Use the money to buy artifacts that further your research. Publish, publish, publish! Earn grants. And expose the fallacies published by those fools who think they can be your rivals.
- Player Count: 2-4 players
- Play Time: 120 Minutes
- Ages 14+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium/High
- Setup Time: Medium/High
- Replay Value: High
- Direct Conflict: Low
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a worker placement, deduction game. Players try to deduce the 3 characteristics of various potion ingredients. Two ingredient cards are scanned using the companion app to learn one of the 3 characteristics of the ingredients. Each player has a triangle shaped board and a paper deduction grid to track their discoveries. Once a player has enough information they can mix and sell potions to adventurers for gold or publish their findings for victory points.
- Round Summary:
- Chose player order by taking turns selecting a space on the order track and drawing the indicated cards.
- Declaring Actions - In reverse player order players place all of their action cubes on the action spaces.
- Take Actions: Starting with the lower right action and going clockwise around the board players take actions in player order.
- Forage for ingredients - Take one of the face up ingredient cards or draw from the draw deck.
- Transmute Ingredient - Discard 1 ingredient and take 1 gold from the bank.
- Sell Potion - If multiple players are on this action, players bid for selling order with their discount cards.
- Buy Artifact - Use gold to purchase one of the available artifact cards
- Debunk a Theory - Use the companion app to prove the theory is wrong.
- Publish or Endorse a Theory - Pay gold 1 gold to the bank and and place a seal and alchemical tokens on an ingredient on the theory board. If endorsing another players theory pay 1 additional gold to all players with a seal on that theory.
- Test on a Student - Use the companion app to test two ingredients. If a negative result occurs, any more student testing requires the player to pay 1 gold.
- Drink Potion - Use the companion app to test two ingredients. A negative result causes something bad to happen to the player.
- Conference - If there is a conference tile this round, resolve the conference and award or subtract reputation points. Discard any artifact cards remaining on the board and place the next level cards on the board.
- Top Alchemist Award - The player with the most seals on the theory board gains 1 reputation point.
- Unused Cubes Space - For every 2 cubes a player has here, draw 1 favor card.
- Hospital - Move any cubes here to the unused cube space. (they can not be placed next round.)
- Reveal a new adventurer - if a conference tile is next then place it on the conference space on the board.
- Event - Resolve the event shown on the hour glass tile and pass the start player token left.
- End Game: Game ends after 6 rounds. On the last round, final exhibition actions replace the ingredient testing actions.
- Victory: The player with the most victory points acquired from reputation points, grants, artifacts, favor cards, and gold wins.
King's Golem Expansion