Designers Jay Cormier, Sen-Foong Lim
Artwork: Chris Quilliams
Theme: Akrotiri places players in the role of explorers in Classical Greek times, combing the then-uncharted Aegean sea for legendary Minoan temples. Using resources found on on surrounding islands to fund the expedition, players use secret maps once thought to be a myth, to unearth the forgotten temples before time forgets them.
- Play Time: 45 minutes
- Player Count: 2 player only game
- Ages: 13+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium
- Setup Time: Medium/Low
- Replay Value: Medium - The tile created game board changes with each game and the randomly drawn goal cards can alter strategies.
- Direct Conflict: None
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a pick up and deliver, tile laying game with action point allocation. Players draw a terrain tile each turn and place it on the ever expanding game board. Players then have a number of actions specified on their player board to ship goods and find temples.
- Turn Summary:
- Place previously drawn terrain tiles on the board and add 2 resource cubes from the market onto the tile.
- Take the number actions shown on your player board:
- Move boat 1 segment per action or 2 segments per action if boat is empty.
- Load up to 3 resources for 1 action.
- Buy new map cards for 1 action.
- Excavate a temple for 1 action. The player's boat must be docked at the temple location and the player must have a map card with terrain icons matching locations surrounding that island. Pay the map costs and place temple.
- Consult the Oracle - State a type of terrain needed and then draw from the terrain tiles until you find that type.
- Free actions include selling resources for the current market price while docked at the central port or unloading resources on any other island.
- Draw new Terrain Tile If consult oracle action was not taken.
- End Game: Game ends after a player has excavated their sixth temple and both players have had the same number of turns.
- Victory: The player with the most victory points acquired from money, completed map cards, and goal cards wins.