Designers: Bruno Cathala and Charles Chevallier
Artwork: Xavier Collette
Theme: For centuries, creatures without peer have ruled the depths of the ocean. Their kingdom, called Abyss, is respected by all their allied races, who are glad to receive protection from the fearsome monsters of the deep. But soon the throne of Abyss will be vacant... Why not claim it for yourself. In Abyss, players compete to recruit lords of the deep to gain powers and the ability to control locations in this undersea kingdom.
- Play Time: 30-60 Minutes
- Player Count: 2-4 players
- Ages: 14+
- Complexity of Rules: Medium/Low
- Setup Time: Medium
- Replay Value: Medium
- Direct Conflict: Medium
How It Plays
- Game Mechanics: This is a card drafting, hand management game with an auction element. Ally cards are drafted by auction or taken from piles that accumulate in the center of the board. Ally cards are used to recruit Lord cards who each have special abilities. Keys acquired from some Lord cards or from fighting monsters can be spent to take control of locations that give end game scoring bonuses.
- Turn Summary:
- Plot at court - Spend pearls to add new Lord cards to the board.
- Take only one action
- Explore the depths - for Allies and Monsters.
- Request support from the counsel - Take a stack of Ally cards from one of the guild piles.
- Recruit a Lord - pay the cost in Allies to gain a Lord card.
- Control Locations - when you get a third key you select a location to control.
- End Game: Game ends after a player recruits their 7th Lord or there are no Lord cards left to refill the board.
- Victory: The player with the most influence points acquired from Lords, strongest affiliated ally, location bonuses and monster tokens wins.